Demonstrate Hazard Management
The standard defines the Occupational health & Safety management system requirements to which organization subscribes. The organization develops the program to meet its policy, objectives and regulatory requirements and works towards continual improvement of the work environment and employee health & safety.
Need of ISO 18001 (OHSAS)
OHSAS is an internationally applied British Standard for occupational health and safety Management System. It exists to help all kinds of organizations put in place demonstrably sound occupational health and safety performance. Its supporters claim that an occupational health and safety management system (OHSMS) promotes a safe and healthy working environment by providing a framework that helps organizations to: identify and control health and safety risks; reduce the potential for accidents; aid legal compliance; and improve overall performance.
Key areas that will be assessed by OHSAS certification
· Management systems in place
· Planning and risk assessment
· Staff training and awareness
· Communication of safety management systems
· Response to emergency situations
· Monitoring and continual improvement
Benefits of OHSAS Certificate
- Minimising the risks of production delays
- Providing a safe environment to do business
- Demonstrating your commitment to maintain an effective health and safety policy
- Improving your reputation and increasing your opportunities to gain new business
- Minimising risks of downtime through accidents
- Demonstrating your commitment to meet legal obligations
- Possible cost savings from public liability insurance premiums
- Maintaining compliance to legal requirements
- Providing a robust system to maintain and continually improve health and safety
OHSAS 18001 is a globally recognized occupational health and safety management system. The standard defines the system for an organization related to health and safety of the employees and stake holders. The standard considers Prevention as an approach towards health & safety of employees.
An OHSAS 18001 certificate establishes that your organisation is committed to safety and health at the workplace. This proactive approach helps the organization to maintain the better long term relations with employees, contractors.
The standard gives a framework to assess hazards related to processes, work environment and the risks associated. The standard demands to establish the program to reduce the risks and improve upon. The revised standard of 2007 version gives equal importance to occupational health.
An international standard, OHSAS 18001:2007 can integrate with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 for environmental management systems. This is a preferred approach by management so as to take care of the risks related to product, environment and employees.
OHSAS 18001:2007 certification
The occupational health and safety assessment series OHSAS 18001 helps organizations formulate occupational health and safety policies and objectives. The system implementation results in demonstrating the concern towards employees and safe working. The standard can be applied to Industrial as well as service sector..
The extent of application of the certification will depend on factors like the occupational health and safety policy of the organisation, the nature of its activities, and the conditions under which it operates.
Benefits of adoption
- Reduction in the number of accidents and interruptions in production due to better control over hazards at the workplace
- Focus on employee safety results in a satisfied, motivated and highly productive work force
- Legal compliance with minimal administrative effort
- Improves company image and boosts international competitiveness
- Demonstrates an innovative and forward thinking approach
- Reduction in insurance costs